- Strong Opposition To Proposed US-Iraq Deal," Iran Daily, 24 May 2008 (citing Grand Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Sistani and Ali Akbar Velayati, an advisor to the leader of the Islamic Revolution on international affairs).
- Juan Cole, "Sistani Forbids Feeding Americans; Warns against Security Agreement; Hundreds of Sadrists Arrested," Informed Comment, 25 May 2008.
- Mark Kukis, "The Return of Iraq's Ayatollah," Time, 25 May 2008.
- Juan Cole, "Will Sistani Declare Jihad on US?" Informed Comment, 23 May 2008.
- "Iran Warns against US-Iraq Deal," Alalam News, 24 May 2008 (citing Velayati).
- "Iran Cleric Blasts US-Iraqi Military Agreement," AFP, 23 May 2008 (citing Ahmad Khatami, a member of the Assembly of Experts).
- Hussein Shariatmadari, "Iraq on the Edge," Kayhan International, 11 May 2008.
- Ali Akbar Dareini, Iran Hard-liners Come Out against Iraqi-US Deal," Associated Press, 12 May 2008 (citing Jomhuri-e-Eslami and Hezbollah).
This just in: "Militant Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr called Tuesday for followers to hold weekly protests against a U.S.-Iraqi security deal under negotiation that could lead to a long-term American troop presence" (Qassim Abdul-Zahra, "Militant Cleric Urges Protests on US-Iraq Deal," Associated Press, 27 May 2008). It should be clear to the Iranians which Iraqi Shia faction is their best friend.