Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Ahmadinejad in the Arab Streets

Naturally, my Persian Prince is getting all the support he could want from the Arab streets. Here are voices quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle: "'He has the courage to stand up to America and Israel. What other leader in the world is doing that?' said Ahmed Yassin, a 46-year-old bank employee, as he watched friends play backgammon in a Cairo coffee house"; and "'It is Iran's right to have nuclear energy and nuclear weapons,' said Tarek Badri, 48, a Cairo construction foreman. 'Why is Israel allowed to have these weapons and Muslim countries are not allowed?'" (Dan Morrison, "Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: Voice of Iran Echoes through Arab World," 25 June 2006).

The support shows up in polls, too:
In a 2005 survey by Telhami and Zogby International, a majority of respondents in six Arab countries said they didn't believe Iran's claims that it isn't building a bomb. But 60 percent -- even in the Gulf, where anti-Shiite prejudice is strongest -- said Iran should be free of international pressure.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

In a survey conducted in May by Saad's center, 79 percent of Lebanese said a nuclear-armed Iran would be good for "the Palestinian struggle against Israel." (Morrison, 25 June 2006)
The rulers of Egypt, Jordan, and Saudi Arabia had better take a hint and quit siding with the West so shamelessly.

1 comment:

bc said...

Naturally, my Persian Prince is getting all the support he could want from the Arab streets. Here are voices quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle: "'He has the courage to stand up to America and Israel. What other leader in the world is doing that?' said Ahmed Yassin, a 46-year-old bank employee, as he watched friends play backgammon in a Cairo coffee house"

My sentiments exactly.


'It is Iran's right to have nuclear energy and nuclear weapons,' said Tarek Badri, 48, a Cairo construction foreman. 'Why is Israel allowed to have these weapons and Muslim countries are not allowed?'"

I'm always asking this same question to those with whom I argue. I always get the same sheit from all of 'em. I've actually said that more nuclear regimes in W Asia would bring more security, not less. Western tutelage time is up should a nuclear secured W Asia come to pass, I believe.



In a 2005 survey by Telhami and Zogby International, a majority of respondents in six Arab countries said they didn't believe Iran's claims that it isn't building a bomb. But 60 percent -- even in the Gulf, where anti-Shiite prejudice is strongest -- said Iran should be free of international pressure.


Yoshie, your sources are excellent. I'm always making claims about how W Asia really feels about Iran and about US and western hegemony is these regions. No one ever believes anything I say; it's all anti-american nonsense to them. Maybe I should just tell them to check out Yoshie's site because of it's excellent sources. I don't want to cause any bandwidth probs for you tho. I'm way too lazy to dig for sources, but even if I did search for support, and source all, of my claims, my cites couldn't be any better than yours.


In a survey conducted in May by Saad's center, 79 percent of Lebanese said a nuclear-armed Iran would be good for "the Palestinian struggle against Israel." (Morrison, 25 June 2006)

Excellent! Now we just have to find americans who can accept these stats with an open mind and a level head. I've always said that Isreal is just an arm of western power in W Asia, and that the arab street pretty much concurs. Whenever I make such assertions, I get the feeling that people (i.e., westerners) would like to torture and slaughter me.

Keep up the great cites and sources;)

regards,

-C'Asian